I’ve started working a project to make a coat for a friend. We’re doing a simple version of what I’ve seen called a Henrician gown, a coat, or a Spanish ropa. It’s a loose, sleeved outer garment.
I’m using the Tudor Tailor‘s Henrician Gown pattern to start, but as I was sketching it onto graph paper so I could adjust for my friend’s measurements, I noticed that the front panels aren’t full enough to close. I checked a costuming book that I’ve got (not a historical clothing book) and the way it cheats the design won’t work for me. Karl Köler’s History of Costume has a pattern in the 16th century French men’s section which is very similar to what I’ve got from the Tudor Tailor, so I’ll need to do some work to get the pattern to a good starting point.
From some of the posts coming from The Modern Maker it looks like Mathew Gnagy’s next book will have a good pattern – too bad I can’t wait that long.
This will be a slow project since time’s tight right now. Fortunately, this doesn’t need to be finished for quite some time.